I sit here at our kitchen table and am observing. I cannot help it; the activities of my roommates and neighbors make this far too interesting to research without taking pleasant little breaks to just sit and enjoy.
Our basement neighbors have finally stopped yelling at their children (Olivia and Caleb- I don't think they've actually done anything all that bad) to take a break to cook dinner. It smells like bacon, but it is probably some other enormously American meaty dish. It smells amazing. They've probably added a variety of spices, hopefully local rosemary and such.
To add to the smells, Sean, Joy's Danish friend, is cooking potatoes and the Oregon "Oktoberfest" sausage. Potatoes smell like Idaho, what more can I say? If only I had a good whiff of dried sage blowing around, I might half believe I were there.
All of these smells are wafting around in a warm, sort of humid air that has been keeping me a wonderfully comfortable temperature all day. It feels perfect after having taken a dip in the cool, green-tinted pool our "resort" of a cheap apartment complex offers. It was also the perfect temperature to feel while reading and napping in the Brazilian hammock on our small balcony.
Perhaps my favorite thing to pay my attention to is Joy's voice and the keyboard. I may miss hearing Joy's music in the apartment most when I leave Oregon in a few weeks. It's so soothing and kind of puts my soul at ease, more so than it already may have been in this warm weather. I mentioned to Joy that I'd like that song to go on forever, but it looks as if it may have to come to an end now.
Now there is silence, well close; the sound of a fork against plate and subtle rolling of the breeze through the Montanan wind chimes accompanied with a far-off power tool will hold my attention a few more minutes. Apartment complexes are so interesting at just about any moment. This bright screen is taking away from it a bit, but it's something that this generation has already learned to be normal in almost every setting. Sadly.
It sounds like the pool is empty, but open another 2.5 hours. Good deal!
Wednesday, July 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
:) Rebekah thank you so much for sharing these observations! I love you all in that apartment. hug-hug-hug!
ReplyDelete