This, we said, was our life...

This, we said, was our life...
We were alone one night on a long road in Montana. This was in winter, a big night, far to the stars. We had hitched, my wife and I, and left our ride at a crossing to go on. Tired and cold--but brave--we trudged along. This, we said, was our life, watched over, allowed to go where we wanted. We said we'd come back some time when we got rich. We'd leave the others and find a night like this, whatever we had to give, and no matter how far, to be so happy again. - William Stafford "Once in the 40's"

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A day in Munich, found from an old e-mail to a friend.

I wanted to share with you, but haven't gotten around to it yet, that today I saw a little dog while biking. This dog was little and JUMPING, oh was it jumping. all over a squatted man who obviously had some connection to the dog while a lady was holding the other end of the leash. The little dog was so excited to see this person that it ran circles around the squatted man (tangling him in the leash) and the dog went back near the man's face to jump right at it. I just loved observing the excitement of the dog that forced him to jump around nonstop, like it couldn't think of any other way to express itself. It was beautiful. Amazing to see how strongly living creatures can feel, and I saw the dog and understood how it felt, when it just feels so strongly that it must jump around in little circles without end. It's beautiful, isn't it? That's kind of like when I saw you, only as human beings we are bound with Reason, and it just isn't REASONABLE to jump up and down at a person around in little circles. But it really makes a person feel confused with how strongly he or she feels at that time, you know? Yes, I think you do. That is kind of how I feel all the time, but in a way that I just feel so so strongly and am confused of how to express it. I think the little dog was getting it across nicely, though. If only I were so good with expression.....

No comments:

Post a Comment